Usually my posts focus on what’ s going in my life, in that moment. I decided I’d switch it up a bit & let you know The Top Ten Things I used to be or have … you know, before becoming a wife & mother!!
I used to have a …
1. Dining Room – I know I’ve talked about this before, but it still saddens me!! My dining room is now a toy room. I had my Great-Great-Aunt’s antique table from a really, really long time ago & it’s been replaced by a Dinosaur Table. Oh lovely!!.
2. Guest Room – Our little 3-bedroom house was purchased with the plan of only having one child in it. We had no intentions of staying here longer than about 5 years, but that little “housing bubble” kind of messed up our plans!! We don’t have company a lot, but when we do I would really love to offer a guest room instead of a sofa!!
3. Career – It wasn’t a long career by any means, but I had one!!
and I used to be …
4. Organized – I once was pretty good at that. Everything had its place. I could find papers. I didn’t misplace our Passports, random checks or Social Security Cards. Some where along the way of becoming responsible for all my things, two little ones, AND a husband … I’ve become totally & completely UNorganized!!! Mandi (she totally spells her name right!) at Organizing Your Way is hosting 31 Days of Organizing for a Better 2010. She has some great tips & I’ve got to start putting some in place!!
5. Clean – I still take showers, wash my hair, brush my teeth & all that good stuff. But please don’t make me tell you the last time I mopped our floors or Lord help us even changed the sheets!!
6. Size 4 – Yep. I was one of these back in the day. I actually remember being a little pissed off when my husband bought me a size 8 pair of pants one year. Now I’m elated to be in a size 8!!
7. a Slow Eater – This sounds crazy, I know. And honestly I’ve never been good at eating my food slowly. But I feel like I hoard my food in five minutes flat. I think it’s just because I know that as soon as Megan or Evan are done then it’s going to get crazy and I’ll never get to finish so I just eat like I’m on the Dixie Speedway (I don’t even know if that’s the right reference … but I mean FAST)!
8 a Volunteer – Oh I feel badly about this one, but I still haven’t gotten plugged in & started volunteering at our church. Part of it is likely excuses but part of it is also just logistics. Megan does horrible in the church nursery (or anywhere for that matter) and honestly I feel bad enough that the Nursery workers have to keep her for an hour. I couldn’t imagine doing that to them for 2 hours!!!
9. a Traveler – Pepper & I were married for 6 years before we had Evan. And that was part of the plan. We knew it’d get harder & harder to take vacations after we started having kids & we were right. It’s like night & day the amount of vacations we went on during our first six years of marriage to the past four!!
10. Completely Unaware of how Wonderful (and difficult) this could be – Sure I miss all the above & sure some days are really (really, really, really) tough. But I love my Megan, Evan & Pepper too much to worry too much about not having or being any of the above!!
So that’s me pre-who I am now in a nutshell!!
For more Top Ten Tuesday posts or to link up your own, visit ohAmanda.com
… on the other side.
But what about when you’re on the fence? Is there a saying for that? I guess it’s just “on the fence” right?
My posts have been very sporadic recently. I’d love to say that I’ve been super busy doing super cool things or traveling to super wonderful places, but I haven’t done any of that. In fact it’s been just the opposite & it’s been draining on me. I feel so blah right now. I have several blog drafts open right now & they’re all just blah. I hate to whine so I just haven’t posted anything. But I figured it out tonight.
I went shopping without any kids. Helped get everyone in PJs and Megan in the bed and then took off for about an hour and a half (woohoo – girl gone wild!). I hit TJ Maxx. I was going to keep myself away from baby clothes & the HomeGoods section. My goal was to buy something for myself. Something besides a shirt from Old Navy. I tried clothes on, some actually looked good & alot didn’t. But I didn’t buy anything. I came home & told my husband I was too blah to shop. He made me sit down & talk because if I’m too blah to shop then something’s wrong.
So I told him I figured it out.
I want to be skinny (and buy skinnier clothes – thus the reason I didn’t buy anything tonight). BUT I really want a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen.
I want to spend money on clothes for me & buy what fits, what makes me look & feel good. BUT I really want to pay off my credit card.
I want to work again or maybe not work but I want to have a good reason to get showered & dressed nice each morning. BUT I really want to stay home with my kids.
I want long hair again just to see if I’d like it. BUT my hair is short right now so that’s not happening overnight.
I want to repaint the kitchen. BUT I have no idea what color.
I’m on the fence. I’m a little blah. So that’s where I’ve been. Hopefully I won’t stay here long … it’s just a little funk. Maybe I’ll change my hair color or something!
When I was young, I was told I talked to myself alot. Nobody had to actually tell me that, because of course I knew I did it. But I think it’s gotten worse now that I’m at home with two little ones full time now. There’s something about not having adult conversation too much – especially when you go from a job where you have intelligent conversations (or at least pretend to be intelligent) to talking about dinosaurs, “the man with the yellow hat” and cowboys!! Mix in several feedings & diaper changes along the way & I guess talking to myself is my form of expression – sad isn’t it?!?
Two things made me realize I’m doing it more & more. One – Evan asked me who I was talking to in the car the other day. Poor thing, I’m going to give him a complex. And two – while I was making Becky’s Chicken Pot Pie (yum-o) I realized I was having conversations in my head as if I was Rachel Ray making it for my studio audience!!! I think I need to get out more!
Oh & in case you’re wondering (but probably you’re not), my favorite “line” during my studio audience taping was, “and lastly add the chicken … it wouldn’t be Chicken Pot Pie without the chicken (giggle to self)”!
I still get very proud these days if I can leave the house before 10am with Evan, Megan & myself all clean & in real clothes!! Today was one of those days. At 8:45am I had Megan in my arms & Evan was following behind me to get in the car. It’s only a half-day at school today (which is incredibly funny since it’s only a half-day to begin with), so I was going to take advantage of every minute!!
Unfortunately, I opened up the car door & Evan’s seat was missing!! Pep took him to soccer last night & forgot to make the change back – oh brother!! We use to have a spare, but he’s outgrown it now.
So we’re all dressed up & no where to go!
I just pulled a 3ft crocodile and two elephants out from under the covers of our bed … all stuffed of course! Not sure what message Evan was trying to send with that one!
Right now I’m finding it in completely the wrong places!! I can’t seem to find it for more car anywhere (more on that later) but poor Megan on the other hand has plenty!! Right now I feel like I’m playing the old “Firedrill” game … you know, where you hop out of the car & run around to change places … with bottles! So far one by MAM seems to be working out ok. At least enough to stick with it and hope for the best.
Now to the gas for my car … the pumps are either dried up or you wait in line for absolutely ever!!! Take your pick but there’s not much in between. Lines are literally wrapping around buildings (more than once), fights are breaking out, and the other day I even saw Waffle House setting up outside so people could buy coffee as they waited in line. Some Krogers are even passing out bottled water as you wait!!! It’s absolute craziness. Now “they’re” saying possibly another couple weeks of this mess. My goodness!!
30 Minute Work-out … productive.
30 Minutes of Cleaning … productive.
30 Minutes of Laundry … productive.
30 Minutes of Blogging … fun & productive.
A 30 Minute Nap for a 2-year old … makes for anything BUT a productive afternoon for his mother!!
Isn’t life a constant juggle? Hopefully it’s not just me. Every stage seems to have it’s own set of circumstances that constantly need juggling. Right now my juggling pens include the little guy, the husband, the part-time job that feels like full-time, all the other jobs that add up to full-time w/overtime but never with any pay, the much needed exercise, cleaning, cooking and all the other stuff I can’t think of right now b/c I’m going on my standard 6-7 hours of sleep after juggling everything!
So what are you juggling?