Usually my posts focus on what’ s going in my life, in that moment. I decided I’d switch it up a bit & let you know The Top Ten Things I used to be or have … you know, before becoming a wife & mother!!
I used to have a …
1. Dining Room – I know I’ve talked about this before, but it still saddens me!! My dining room is now a toy room. I had my Great-Great-Aunt’s antique table from a really, really long time ago & it’s been replaced by a Dinosaur Table. Oh lovely!!.
2. Guest Room – Our little 3-bedroom house was purchased with the plan of only having one child in it. We had no intentions of staying here longer than about 5 years, but that little “housing bubble” kind of messed up our plans!! We don’t have company a lot, but when we do I would really love to offer a guest room instead of a sofa!!
3. Career – It wasn’t a long career by any means, but I had one!!
and I used to be …
4. Organized – I once was pretty good at that. Everything had its place. I could find papers. I didn’t misplace our Passports, random checks or Social Security Cards. Some where along the way of becoming responsible for all my things, two little ones, AND a husband … I’ve become totally & completely UNorganized!!! Mandi (she totally spells her name right!) at Organizing Your Way is hosting 31 Days of Organizing for a Better 2010. She has some great tips & I’ve got to start putting some in place!!
5. Clean – I still take showers, wash my hair, brush my teeth & all that good stuff. But please don’t make me tell you the last time I mopped our floors or Lord help us even changed the sheets!!
6. Size 4 – Yep. I was one of these back in the day. I actually remember being a little pissed off when my husband bought me a size 8 pair of pants one year. Now I’m elated to be in a size 8!!
7. a Slow Eater – This sounds crazy, I know. And honestly I’ve never been good at eating my food slowly. But I feel like I hoard my food in five minutes flat. I think it’s just because I know that as soon as Megan or Evan are done then it’s going to get crazy and I’ll never get to finish so I just eat like I’m on the Dixie Speedway (I don’t even know if that’s the right reference … but I mean FAST)!
8 a Volunteer – Oh I feel badly about this one, but I still haven’t gotten plugged in & started volunteering at our church. Part of it is likely excuses but part of it is also just logistics. Megan does horrible in the church nursery (or anywhere for that matter) and honestly I feel bad enough that the Nursery workers have to keep her for an hour. I couldn’t imagine doing that to them for 2 hours!!!
9. a Traveler – Pepper & I were married for 6 years before we had Evan. And that was part of the plan. We knew it’d get harder & harder to take vacations after we started having kids & we were right. It’s like night & day the amount of vacations we went on during our first six years of marriage to the past four!!
10. Completely Unaware of how Wonderful (and difficult) this could be – Sure I miss all the above & sure some days are really (really, really, really) tough. But I love my Megan, Evan & Pepper too much to worry too much about not having or being any of the above!!
So that’s me pre-who I am now in a nutshell!!
For more Top Ten Tuesday posts or to link up your own, visit ohAmanda.com
When I was young, I was told I talked to myself alot. Nobody had to actually tell me that, because of course I knew I did it. But I think it’s gotten worse now that I’m at home with two little ones full time now. There’s something about not having adult conversation too much – especially when you go from a job where you have intelligent conversations (or at least pretend to be intelligent) to talking about dinosaurs, “the man with the yellow hat” and cowboys!! Mix in several feedings & diaper changes along the way & I guess talking to myself is my form of expression – sad isn’t it?!?
Two things made me realize I’m doing it more & more. One – Evan asked me who I was talking to in the car the other day. Poor thing, I’m going to give him a complex. And two – while I was making Becky’s Chicken Pot Pie (yum-o) I realized I was having conversations in my head as if I was Rachel Ray making it for my studio audience!!! I think I need to get out more!
Oh & in case you’re wondering (but probably you’re not), my favorite “line” during my studio audience taping was, “and lastly add the chicken … it wouldn’t be Chicken Pot Pie without the chicken (giggle to self)”!
I still get very proud these days if I can leave the house before 10am with Evan, Megan & myself all clean & in real clothes!! Today was one of those days. At 8:45am I had Megan in my arms & Evan was following behind me to get in the car. It’s only a half-day at school today (which is incredibly funny since it’s only a half-day to begin with), so I was going to take advantage of every minute!!
Unfortunately, I opened up the car door & Evan’s seat was missing!! Pep took him to soccer last night & forgot to make the change back – oh brother!! We use to have a spare, but he’s outgrown it now.
So we’re all dressed up & no where to go!
It’s been about two weeks since I posted last. And it’s been about two weeks since bringing home Megan and having two little ones in the house … think those two are related in any way – you’re right! Time – that’s something I haven’t seemed to find to much of lately. Hopefully I’ll get better at that!
Anyhow, I thought the easiest catch up would be to just share a few of the thoughts that have passed through my mind the last two weeks … plus that’s about all i can muster up right now:
1. Will my three year old ever love me again like he did “pre-Megan”?
2. Is God just showing his sense of humor when Pep got a stomach bug last Sunday?
3. I need to get some sleep.
4. Baby girls are fun … even the dryer lint is pink!!!
5. Ok God, Did I not laugh at the joke hard enough so that’s why Evan got an Ear Infection this week?
6. I still need to get some sleep.
7. Oh I forgot about baby hiccups!
8. I love baby feet!
9. I’m getting good at doing anything & everything with just one hand.
10. Yipee!!! My smile is slowly going back to normal (or at least “pre-bells palsy”)!
11. I REALLY need to get some sleep …
Oh – and to “Stephanie” that said Megan “was not beautiful” … well you’re mean!!!!!