Going out of town is always so much work. But almost always well worth it!
And this out of town trip, is definitely worth it. On SO many levels!!! Girl time, no-kiddo time, blogging time … oh it’s going to be fun!!
But there’s so many things I need to do before leaving at 1pm on Thursday. So this one is likely more for my benefit than yours, but maybe you can help me if I’m forgetting anything!! And I can help you, if you’re forgetting something too!
1. Remove pictures off my camera – I’m horrible at doing that, but I want a fresh clean memory stick!!
2. Pay bills – Blah, blah, blah. Ugh. I hate paying bills!!
3. Pack my bags – which also means figuring out what I’m going to take, leave, wear, not wear, etc. The packing is the easy part!! It’s all the deciding that isn’t!!
4. Pack bags for the kids – they’ll be spending the night with my parents one night & then with Pepper the other two. But Lord knows what they’d be wearing or not wearing if I didn’t get all that organized before leaving!!
5. Get some dinners ready – I think they’ll only be home for dinner one of the nights I’m out, but still, it makes me feel better knowing I’ve left some of their favorites ready in the fridge. That probably means Chicken Casserole & Chicken Pot Pie!
6. Try to get my new site finished – yep, you read that right. I’ve been working (not really me, but rather someone’s been working on my behalf!) on a new site for a little while now & my goal is to have it ready tomorrow. I was going to wait until after Blissdom, and then went back & forth on what to do. So we’ll see! Lots of blogrolls & widgets still to change over. But I’m excited!!
7. Set up my poken – Eeek. I haven’t even opened it!
8. Look at the Agenda one more time – I need to remind myself of where I’m supposed to be, what classes I want to take, who I want to hear speak, etc. etc. etc.
9. Think about all the random stuff – Camera Charger, Laptop Charger, Phone Charger, Blog Cards, Chewing Gum, Spending Money, Pillow, Notepads … what else??
10. Try to remember everything I’m forgetting – Can you help me??
According to my husband that’s what every football player learns at the pee-wee level. So why did Brett Favre, one of the best of the best (and definitely one of the cutest), have to do just that on January 24th during the NFC Championship Game against the New Orleans Saints?
When he broke that very elementary rule, he changed the course of my life. Or at least a few hours of one weekend of my life.
You see Harry Connick Jr was set to perform at Blissdom on Saturday night. Harry Connick Jr loves his hometown of New Orleans. Harry Connick Jr loves his New Orleans Saints. And until Brett Favre threw that interception on January 24th, Harry Connick Jr. had no plans this coming Saturday night except to be at Opryland Hotel singing for 500 very excited women!
However that all changed when Brett Favre threw that interception. Because when Brett Favre threw that interception, the New Orleans Saints went on to win the game. And which ever team wins the NFC Championship game, goes on to the Super Bowl. And suddenly Harry Connick Jr had a little bit more than 500 women to be excited about … his New Orleans Saints were playing in the Super Bowl for the very first time in history!!
Now, Mr. Harry Connick Jr is being ever so gracious to still play at Blissdom; however, the schedule had to be rearranged a bit. And so thanks to Mr. Brett Favre, I (along with many others) were asking & tweeting the question:
“Harry or #savvyblogging??”
Never throw the football across your body in the middle of the field!
This time next week I’ll be at Blissdom ’10 with 499 other women!! I know I’ve talked about it alot this month, and I still have a week to go, plus recaps of the weekend so if you’re not into all the Blissdom talk, I’m so sorry!! But stick with me … please!!
But just as excited as I am about meeting a bunch of new, wonderful women I am thrilled with who I am going with!! On Thursday afternoon I’ll be hitting the road with 3 women that “I love”!
My sister, Simply Staci, will be picking me up. I typically just call her Staci!! We had plenty of fights growing up, but I love hanging out with her now & am so blessed to have her as my sister. And my kids are incredibly blessed to have her as their Aunt (Oh – and on a completely different note, her students are so lucky to have her as their Science Teacher … Teacher of the Year at her school!!)
Then we’ll be meeting up with ohAmanda. I usually leave off the ‘oh’ when talking to her! I’ve known her since diapers – seriously!! She was probably out of them, but I wasn’t it. I was like 2 years old when our families started going to the same church. We’ve worked together, played together, ministered together, and now we’re both married, parenting, blogging & tweeting together.
And we’ll be meeting at The Violet Fig‘s house. And yep, you guessed we usually don’t go around calling her the Fig either! We typically just stick to Becky! Becky’s family was really smart when they moved from Florida to Georgia & started coming to the same church that myself, Staci & Amanda went to:) She came to us in the 6th grade! And I’m so glad she did!! She passionate, fun & keeps me on my toes:)
But these five girls are my best friends. We have litterally ‘grown up’ together in every sense of what that means. We can laugh together, cry together, talk or not talk at all … and still be able to finish each other’s sentences. So, while I’m super excited to be at a conference with 499 wonderful women, I’m even more excited that three of them will be my Sisterchicks!
Oh – And if you’re thinking this is the MOST RANDOM PICTURE EVER … you’re right! So much so, that I named it that!! Normally there’s 6 of us in a group shot, so in order to get just four of us … you get random!!
We’re only two weeks away from Blissdom ’10 & it’s getting exciting!!! On Thursday night, my roadmates/ room-mates/ Sisterchicks – ohAmanda, Simply Staci & The Violet Fig (4 out of the 6) met up for a Pre-Blissdom meeting. It took us three locations before we found free WiFi and then another hour before we knew what time we’d hit the road!! After that it just became alot of chit chat & tweeting. Honestly I’m not sure if we accomplished anything, but it was still fun!! And at we at least know we’ll be hitting the road by 2:30pm!!
I am still reading some great posts each week to help get us ready. Here’s a few that I came across this week.
Blissdom Blogging Conference – What I’m Packing by Mom’s Travel Tales – This is fun, she lays out everything she’s packing (or planning to pack) and you have to look at the great dress AND SHOES that she’s going to wear for Harry!! And it gets better, she added a MckLinky so you can see what some other bloggers will be wearing too!!
Conference Attire Do’s & Dont’s … Barbie Style by Linda Sellers – Really. You must go read this for the information … but especially for the visuals!! When she says Barbie Style, she means it – literally!!
But I’m sure I’ve missed some. Have you come across any must-reads??
Blissdom is just 3 weeks away & my excitement level continues!!
First, if you haven’t already, be sure to link up to some “unofficial” guest lists to see who all is going and to either meet new people or to say “oh my goodness, I didn’t know you were going”!!
But on to the posts. I’m definitely not the only one excited because there were a lot of great Blissdom-related posts out there this week. Did you catch any? Here’s a few that I caught to help me prepare. Let me know if you caught any others that I should be reading!!
Conferences Put the “Social” in Social Media by Real Life – everything from clothes, to business cards (which you MUST click over just to see her super cute cards!!), to a reminder to bring an extra bag for some ‘swag’!
So, that’s what I read this week. Did you read anything else? Leave me a comment if so, and I’ll be sure to check it out!!
And don’t forget to read Blissfully blissdom links (part 1).
When I originally registered for Blissdom 10 I was pretty excited about going, but I was really excited about a girl’s trip with my Sisterchicks Amanda, Staci & Becky. Today, I’m still super excited about going with them but can I just tell you how incredibly excited I am about the Conference and meeting everyone!!!
I really am!
I’ve told a couple of bloggers & tweeting friends that they make me laugh or that I enjoy them so much online, I hope they don’t let me down when I meet them in person!
As a newbie, I’m trying to absorb all things Blissdom these last few weeks so I can feel ready but also so that I’ll continue to be excited. Here’s just a couple really great posts that I’ve read this past week. If you’re a newbie like me & you haven’t read these, be sure to take a minute and do. I think you’ll find them helpful like me!!
To Niche or Not to Niche (a guest post by Musings of a Housewife) at ohAmanda: Amanda is hosting a series called Bliss*tastic and she has a secret list of TOP guest bloggers lined up each week. I know this is a series not to miss!!
A Blissdom Packing List (a guest post by Mandi at Organizing Your Way) at Deal Seeking Mom: This is actually from last year, but it will give me a head start on my packing list as I’m sure it’s still pretty similar. Again, very practical information but super helpful to see it all in one place.
And then of course there’s the actual Blissdom Conference website.
Have you read (or written) any great articles to help a newbie out?? Be sure to leave them in the comments if you have, I’d love to read them if you have.
Are you going to Blissdom 10? Let me know if you are. I’d love to meet you!!
And truth be told, I’m writing these out because these are my goals right now. But I’m really excited to be attending the Savvy Blogging Event (if you’re going please leave me a comment – I’d love to read your blog & get to know you better before we meet!!) and the Blissdom Conference in February. I know I’ll learn lots of wonderful things while I’m there and my goals will either change or I’ll hopefully come away with some clear direction on how best to meet these goals!! Or at least that’s my goal anyways!!
The majority of my goals can fall into four categories – The A, B, C’s and D’s for It’s come to this:
Aesthetics – The overall look & feel of my blog, specific goals:
- Purchase a Domain ~ I mean obviously I was NOT planning on anyone reading this when I chose “mlbh” as my domain name with WordPress!! The specific domain I wanted is of course already taken, so I’m just stalling on making a decision for 2nd best!
- Get a Re-Design ~ or rather have it redesigned! I really enjoy WordPress, but I hate the limitations of design. I can’t wait to have a more fun & updated look!
Build A Bond – Aka Community, specific goals:
- Read and Comment More on Other’s Blogs ~ I read a lot of blogs, but I don’t comment near enough. I know how nice it is to get a really nice comment from a stranger and I want to give that in return. I also know how “unsure” it can make you feel if you have a lot of readers but hardly any comments!!
- Update my Google Reader ~ ohAmanda left a great tutorial on how to comment directly through Google Reader. I still need to follow these steps. I think it will help me a lot!!
- Comment more on Comments ~ Alot of times I email readers that leave me comments, but I also love how other bloggers leave comments within the comments on a feed. I want to do better at that in 2010.
Content – It’s King! Specific goals:
- Create a Blogging Schedule ~ Sure I might deviate from it time to time, but I want to get in a good rhythm and flow for this coming year.
- Find my Niche ~ I think when people say this they automatically assume a niche to make money with. But honestly I didn’t start this blog with that intention so I’m totally fine without going that route. I just want to get in a groove that I really enjoy. I have a lot of opinions and a lot of interests but I’ve struggled with writing about those consistently. I have a few things I’m going to focus on the first of this year and see how that treats me (and you!).
Delivery – My Style, specific goals:
- Brush up on my Writing ~ and brush up is probably weak at best. I love writing (and take pride in the fact that I was a published author in Elementary School through our local paper – ha!!) but too often I through throw (updated after this was published and someone kindly pointed it out … see – it’s a good thing this is a goal for 2010!!) a post together and hit publish. You can always tell the difference in a quick post and a though out post. I just want to make sure I deliver my best!
So, those are my goals for 2010 … now I’m off to work on them!!
And again, if you’re coming from the Savvy Blogging link-up, please leave me a comment! I’ll be at the event & I’d love to get to know you & your blog before we meet in person!! (YAY ~ meeting in person … so exciting!!)