I’m at the beach this week in Florida – yay!! It’s been a really long time since I’ve been at the beach for an entire week with the opportunity to relax. The last two times have been only for a few days and with kids in tow. I have kids in tow but I also have the grandparents, two aunts, one uncle, three cousins and 10-other family best friends!! So, hopefully there’s enough distraction for the little ones to stay happy and enough hands to give me a little longer shower in the morning and some time to just sit in the sand or by the pool!!
So in honor of Top Ten Tuesday, I’ve come up with ten of my favorite beach memories:
1. The Brown/Thornton Family Vacations – that’s what I’m on right now. When we were younger, our family & our family’s best friends all went to Florida each year together. Originally there were 11 of us. We’d all stay in one condo and sleep wherever we could find a space long enough for a sleeping bag. Over the years we’d bring friends and then we started bringing boy/girl friends, husbands, wives & now kids. Our little group of 11 has now grown to 23. When I think childhood, summer, or beach … I must think of the Brown/Thornton Family Vacations!
2. Mission Trip – Our youth group went to Florida after Hurricane Andrew hit the area. I actually don’t recall ever seeing the beach but it was in Florida so when I think beach, I think Florida and then shortly after think about this Mission Trip. One thing I specifically remember is bug bites – we slept in giant tents & I remember counting the number of bites on my leg … I was well into the hundreds!! What can I say … I’m sweet, so bugs like me!
3. Youth Trips to the beach – I distinctly remember two trips with our youth group – one never happened! Our youth group took a summer trip to Panama City, but bad storms were moving in. We made it to a little town called Dothan Alabama (more than half-way there) and had to turn back around because of hurricane warnings. Another was a Spring Break trip to the Destin area. We got to stay in Mr. Cathy’s house … as in Truitt Cathy the owner of Chick-fil-a. Unfortunately, the thing I remember most about this trip was getting burnt to a crisp!! And then the ride home – painful!
4. Sunsets on the beach– It’s fun to try and get that perfect sunset picture! I have two framed pictures from our honeymoon to Jamaica that hang in our dining room … it’s the perfect souvenir!
5. The beaches of Carlsbad, CA – we visited some friends in Carlsbad several years ago. They live in an adorable little house directly across the street from the beach. Their deck patio has a terrific view. It was November so we didn’t get in the water, but sitting on the patio & then walking across the street to the beach sure did make this GA girl dream about being a CA girl!
6. New Year’s Eve on the beach– Several years ago, we went with another couple to Destin over the New Year’s holiday. We had a bonfire on the beach & shot fireworks at midnight. Plus we celebrated Eastern Time because of our home in Atlanta & “Florida time” too, so it was double the fun! It was a great way to ring in the New Year!
7. The beaches of the Bahamas– On THE cruise with my Sisterchicks we went to the Atlantis Resort & hung out on their beach for a while – long enough to get some cute pictures and a little wet. When you’re with your Sisterchicks … everything is the best!
8. The beaches with Megan & Evan – it doesn’t matter what beach it is, it’s just fun to watch them. Megan loves to eat it and Evan loves to be buried in it!
9. Walks on the Beach – again, it doesn’t matter which beach it is, I love walks at night.
10. The beaches in Hawaii– In 2003 we went on a family trip to Hawaii. The beaches are absolutely the most perfect I’ve ever seen!! We hung out a while on the beaches of Kaui which were calm, quiet, and just surrounded by complete beauty!! We also stayed on the beaches of Honolulu. Totally different – extremely crowded and the views consisted of alot of high-rises, but it was Hawaii so high-rise or not … it was all good!!
For more Top Ten Tuesday lists or to link up to your own, visit ohAmanda.com.